Clients with personality disorders often find it difficult to overcome their problems and function in daily life. Even when these clients are aware that they have a dysfunction with their personality and are open to counseling, treatment can be challenging for both the client and the therapist. For this Discussion, as you examine personality disorders, consider therapeutic approaches you might use with clients.
· Analyze therapeutic approaches to treating clients with personality disorders.
· Review this week’s Learning Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
· Select one of the personality disorders from the DSM-5. EX Paranoid, schizoid, borderline, narcissistic, avoidant, OCD.
Post a description of the personality disorder you selected. Explain a therapeutic approach (including psychotropic medications if appropriate) you might use to treat a client presenting with this disorder, including how you would share your diagnosis of this disorder to the client in order to avoid damaging the therapeutic relationship. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Learning Resources( Need 3 references).
American Nurses Association. (2014). Psychiatric-mental health nursing: Scope and standards of practice (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Standard 5H “Psychotherapy” (pages 63-64)
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Chapter 20, “Termination and Outcome Evaluation” (Review pp. 693–712)