What is a theory?
Theory can be defined as “one or more relatively concrete and specific concepts that are derived from a conceptual model, the propositions that narrowly describe those concepts, and the propositions that state relatively concrete and specific relations between two or more concepts” (Butts & Rich, 2018, p. 101).
Theory is a hypothesis tested and measured to explain, predict, describe, and prescribe relationships between concepts and is developed through quantitative research.
The difference between a model and a theory is the amount of proof that exists in demonstrating the outcomes they predict. Both models and theories show relationships between concepts.
In this assignment, you will locate a grand and middle-range nursing theory and examine the utility of your chosen theories for guiding research and practice.
You will locate one grand nursing theory and one middle-range nursing theory applied in a research study. You will examine how each theory was applied within the research study and then analyze the utility of grand and middle-range nursing theories to advance the discipline of nursing and its impact upon your advanced nursing practice.
For this Assignment, your paper must be 2 to 4 pages, not including the title and reference pages.
To view the Grading Rubric for this Assignment, please visit the Grading Rubrics section of the Course Resources.
Before finalizing your work, you should:
- Minimum requirement of at least five sources of support
- be sure to read the Assignment description carefully (as displayed above);
- consult the Grading Rubric (under the Course Resources) to make sure you have included everything necessary; and
- utilize spelling and grammar check to minimize errors.
Your writing Assignment should:
- follow the conventions of Standard English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.);
- be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful;
- display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics; and
- use APA 7th Edition