For this Assignment, you will practice searching the Walden Library database and then assessing strategies for approaching library research. Your assessment will involve explaining the ease or difficulty in conducting database searches, examining the importance of peer-reviewed publications, and providing suggestions for searching databases. To begin, log onto Walden’s Library and access the PsycINFO database using your Walden credentials. Complete the following keyword searches and record the results in a word document:
- Conduct a search on the term depression. How many hits (“Records found”) come up? ____
- Conduct a search on the term depressed. How many hits? ______
- Conduct a search on the term depressing. How many hits? ______
- Conduct a search on the exact term depress. How many hits? ______
- Conduct a search on the term children. How many hits? ______
- Conduct a search on depression AND children. How many hits? ____
[This search exercise is based on Exercise #8 in the Course Text]
- For this assignment, include an APA Style formatted Title page including a Running head. Double-space your text and include a separate page for your References. You may want to refer again to Chapter 10 in the textbook for accuracy.
- Write a brief analysis of the library search exercise you conducted for this Assignment, and for the PsycINFO search you conducted for this week’s Discussion assignment. Comment on the ease or difficulty of conducting the searches.
- Explain why examining peer-reviewed scholarly publications is an important part of the research process.
- Provide a suggestion for a colleague who is searching in the Walden Library databases for the first time.
Important note: For this Assignment, be sure to use in-text citations, and include a Reference list formatted in APA format and style that you learned last week in Chapter 10. For information regarding how your Discussion assignment will be evaluated, please review the Grading Rubric located in the Course Information area of the course.
By Day 7
Submit (in one document) your Library PsycINFO assignment responses and your responses to the assignment prompts.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 5 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 5 Assignment draft and review the originality report