For this assignment, you will develop an organizational budget plan utilizing your choice of budget reports. Although your Organizational Budget Plan will be professionally relevant, it will be structured according to established academic guidelines and will contain an introduction, literature review, budgetary line items, discussion, and conclusion.
You will take on the role of the chief operating officer for either the San Diego, California Police Department or the California Department of Corrections. In this role, you have been called upon to cut your agency’s operating costs by 25%. Your tasks are to decide where costs should be cut, rationalize your decisions based on available literature, and draft an appropriate budget plan outlining your decisions. Your budget plan should allow the organization to function adequately and provide the necessary public service required of its mission statement.
You will be using the budget report you chose for your Week Three Annotated Literature Review assignment. Based on your previous selection, you will create your budget plan. (The literature you researched in Week Three should be used to support this assignment as well.) When considering your chosen report, keep in mind that the total operating budget for your respective agency must be cut by the requisite 25%. The resulting amount will be the total available funding for your agency for the upcoming fiscal year.
Do not create an entirely new budget. Your task is to take the funds available for your agency for the upcoming fiscal year and provide a rationale for the cuts you decide upon and how the money will be reallocated among the budgetary line items.
The following headings and content must be included in the budget plan.
For this section of your plan, you must research and include a minimum of nine scholarly and/or professional resources (Links to an external site.)published within the last 10 years in addition to your course text. You are encouraged to review your instructor feedback and include the work you completed in the Week Three Annotated Literature Review assignment.
- Explain the basic elements of decision-making and public finance in law enforcement or correctional organizations in general. Define and describe what is meant by the terms: strategic management, quality management, operations management, and project management. Explain the distinctions between qualitative versus quantitative decision-making and describe various ways both styles of decision-making are important for a criminal justice organization.
- Examine the management philosophy of Henri Fayol (1917) and briefly describe the ways planning, organizing, leading, controlling, and coordinating impact an agency’s budgetary considerations. Apply these theoretical concepts of management and leadership to your chosen agency’s budgetary reduction and explain how these considerations reflect strategic management practices.
- Explain the basic premises of budget management and preparation as they pertain to the type of agency you chose (either law enforcement or corrections). Provide a detailed explanation of the nuances of budget management and preparation that are unique to your chosen agency.
Budgetary Line Items
- Review your researched literature and analyze the technical aspects of program budgeting and finance as they pertain to the type of agency you chose (either law enforcement or corrections). Explain how strategic, quality, and operations management impact these institutions. Defend any budget cuts you include in your budgetary plan based on your research.
- Evaluate financial constraints facing your selected organization, taking into consideration the concepts of demand and supply as they pertain to the type of agency you chose. Identify relevant stakeholders, potential sources of competition, economies of scale, and financial constraints facing your agency.
- Create a budget for your agency that reduces the overall spending by 25% and reallocates funds as necessary. The format of the budget should mirror that of the chosen budget report and include both table and narrative sections. Charts and graphs are encouraged; however, images of people and items should not be included in your budget. The various budgeted requirements for your organization are provided in your chosen budget report. You must take into consideration the unique requirements of your chosen organization and provide a logical reallocation of funds where necessary. You must provide a thorough rationale for each reallocation.
Discussion and Conclusion
- Assess the impact of your proposed budget changes on the fiscal health and human resources management of the agency. Provide a summary rationale for the changes you made to your organization’s operating budget.
The Organizational Budget Plan
- Must be 10 to 15 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of project
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least nine scholarly and/or professional sources in addition to the course text.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.