The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week on the basis of the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ initial postings.
Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Cite sources in your responses to other classmates. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Read the article on The Kansas City Preventive Patrol Experiment.
On the basis of your readings, address the following:
- This study is repeatedly referred to as an “experiment.” Briefly discuss the elements of the various experimental and quasi-experimental designs. Which design model best fits this study?
- Briefly discuss the role of pretests and post tests in experimental and quasi-experimental designs. Were pretests and post tests used by the study’s authors? Describe the efforts and actions performed by the study’s authors to establish their research. What issues did they encounter while executing the study? How were these issues circumvented and their impact on validity minimized?
- Briefly describe two ethical issues that arose during the design phase of this study. How did the authors address those ethical concerns in the execution of the study?
- Analyze and examine to what degree the results of the experiment inform and influence public policy delivery currently.
Review at least two of your classmates’ posts on the basis of the following:
- Examine how your classmates have explained the steps of the experiment, including the efforts and actions performed by the authors to establish their research.
- Compare your post with those of your classmates, noting areas of convergence (agreement) and divergence (disagreement