Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, address the following:
- Find and post examples of deductive and inductive arguments.
- For each example, evaluate its logical strength, using the concepts and ideas presented in the textbook readings, the lesson, and any other source you find that helps you to evaluate the validity (deductive) or strength (inductive) of the argument. You can use examples from the text, or you can find examples elsewhere.
- Editorials and opinion columns are a good source, as are letters to the editor. Blogs will also often be based on arguments.
- Use mapping and evaluative techniques to make sure it is an argument.
- Is it inductive or deductive? Explain why.
- Does it pass the tests of validity and strength? Explain.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification. Do you agree with their analysis – be very specific about why you agree or disagree.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- Minimum of 2 sources cited (assigned readings/online lessons and an outside source)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references