Develop and Use Emotional Intelligence
SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR TASK 2: • Self-evaluation form for Part A
• Completed self-evaluation form for Part B
• Professional Development Policy & Procedures for Part C
• Professional Development Plan for Part D
For this assessment, you will play the role of Human Resources Managers for CBSA.
You are to review the email and the attached strategic plan and staff turnover analysis and then complete the following task:
Using a word processor to design a form that employees can use to identify the impact of own emotions on others in the workplace. This for should include space to identify:
• Own emotional strengths and weaknesses
• Personal stressors and own emotional states related to the workplace
• Potential emotional triggers in workplace situations
• Possible ways in how they can change their actions in order to better manage their emotions
• Self – reflection on how they can improve development of own emotional intelligence
(Be sure to include a relevant title)
In this task, you are to undertake a self-evaluation of your emotional intelligence using the form you developed in the previous task. While this assessment is based on a case study, you should evaluate your emotional intelligence based on past/current workforce experience, or of your educational studies if you have not worked previously.
Using a word processor and complete the evaluation form:
• Record two emotional strengths and weakness that you believe you have. Also, provide a specific example for each strength as well as weakness.
Think about the five aspects of E.I. according to the Daniel Goleman’s E.I. definition.
A good reference for a list of possible strengths and weakness is provided here: http://www.myrkothum.com/personal-strengths-and-weaknesses/ .
• Record two personal stressors in your workplace/studies that adversely impact on your health and well-being.
These can include those related to workload pressures, the types of tasks being undertaken (boring, repetitive, dangerous, etc), the job itself, customers (such as aggressive customers, complaints, etc), workmates (slackers, bullies, unrealistic expectations, etc) or any other events such as fear of termination, or general lack of control.
• Record two potential emotional triggers in workplace situations (triggers that provoke and intense reaction within yourself when they occur)
For examples, making a mistake, lack of confidence, being put down, bullying, behind schedule in tasks, dealing with aggressive customers, fellow workmates not performing, etc.
• Record two possible ways in which you could change your actions in order to better manage your emotions
• Using your answers to the above points, reflect on how you might develop your emotional intelligence and improve the weakness you identified ( this reflection must be at least two paragraphs in length)
In this task, you are to review the email as well as the current Professional Development Policy & Procedure. Then, using a word processor, modify the document to ensure that it covers:
• The purpose of the policy.
• To whom the policy applies.
• Number of times a year that a performance review is to occur for each employee.
It should be three times a year – once to initiate the plan, and two review stages.
• Simple step-by-step procedures for organising and conducting the performance review meeting.
This should include:
1) a self-evaluation step prior to the meeting.
2) discussing self-evaluation in line with formally allocating work, monitoring and measuring performance, and planning learning and development activities.
3) documenting the meeting and providing feedback.
Student should modify 1 and 2 of the current procedure to implement this change, and rearrange numbered steps that follow as appropriate.
• Templates used in the process. You should refer to the self-evaluation form you developed previously and can use the existing Performance Management Plan template.
In this task, you will be attending a professional development meeting with Gavin, you should discuss and review the self-evaluation form that you have completed, and then use the internet or other appropriate resources to determine appropriate personal/professional development activities that can be used to improve your emotional intelligence. And there must be at least three development activities that you should undertake with specification for each on:
• The timeline to complete the development activity
• How it will be evaluated
• How achievement will be confirmed
Development activities include but not limited to:
• Enrolment in formal degree programs, courses, or workshops
• Pursuing certificates, accreditations or other credentials through educational programs
• Learning by doing – by working on real problems and dilemmas
• Self – reflection: identify specific skills gaps
• Watching coaching video