Chapter 5: Designing Research
1. Find an example of an abstract from an empirical study in your field. Critique the abstract based on the five elements of an abstract as covered by the text. What elements are present, and what elements are missing?
2. Draft a single opening sentence with a narrative hook for a research study. Discuss what makes it a good narrative hook. What are some ways to refine it?
3. What is the deficiency model of an introduction? Discuss how using this model when writing the introduction to a study or proposal may set the stage for the reader.
4. Why do you think one should avoid idiomatic expressions and quotations when stating the research problem?
5. Discuss the importance of framing the study within existing literature when writing the introduction.