CPHL550 DB0 P18Minor Essay
Explain the main elements of one of Descartes’ three proofs of God’s existence in his Meditations (8 marks). Then, develop and explain your own critique (do your own thinking, rather than using that of others) on whether that argument provides a solid ground for knowledge of the external world (5 marks).
- a cover page including all necessary information
- 1400–1600words (c. 4–6 pages) of text, typed, dbl-spaced, 12-pt font (preferably Times New Roman), indented paragraphs, pages numbered
- an opening paragraph, clearly stating your topic and a brief statement of your thesis,and absolutely nothing else
- no padding, i.e., an extra space between paragraphs, wide margins, subheadings, biographical material, etc.
- be as clear and concise as possible throughout your paper (clarity is arguably an epistemic virtue, after all); i.e., be as clear as you can rather than difficult, avoid jargon words, flowery language, and bafflegab, and do no more or less than what the question asks
- when you reference authors in our text, your references must be text-based with pages, not my own reading notes
- if using outside sources, confine yourself to academically respectable sources (those that would be used by professional philosophers etc.)
- when arguing your own view, you must keep your argumentation down to earth (i.e., you must restrict yourself to philosophical arguments everyone can relate to)
- g. (8 marks) does not mean you need eight points; it is merely the grade weight for the section
- keep in mind that agreeing is not the same thing as arguing