ype Individual Assignment
Assessment Title Database Design
Purpose of the
assessment (with ULO Mapping)
a) Design and implement relational database for an information system by considering business need and context of the systems.
b) Retrieve and present information from cross functional areas information using SQL tools and techniques.
Weight 15% of the total assessments
Total Marks 15
Word limit N/A
• All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
Submissions made after the due date and time will be penalized per day late (including weekend days) according to Holmes Institute policies.
• The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
• Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using Harvard or IEEE referencing style.
• The SafeAssign similarity score will be used in determining the level, if any, of plagiarism. SafeAssign will check conference web-sites, Journal articles, the Web and your own class members’ submissions for plagiarism. You can see your SafeAssign similarity score (or match) when you submit your assignment to the appropriate drop-box.
If this is a concern you will have a chance to change your assignment and resubmit. However, resubmission is only allowed prior to the submission due date and time. After the due date and time have elapsed your assignment will be graded as late. Submitted assignments that indicate a high level of plagiarism will be penalized according to the Holmes Academic Misconduct policy, there will be no exceptions.
P a g e | 2
1. Discuss each of the following terms (3 Marks):
a Data (1 Mark) b Field (1 Mark)
c Record (1 Mark)
2. Given the following business rules, create the appropriate entity relationship diagram (ERD).
a A company operates many departments. b Each department employs one or more employees. c Each of the employees may or may not have one or more dependents.
d Each employee may or may not have an employment history.
3. Write the SQL query that will produce a list of customers who have an unpaid balance. The required output is shown in Figure 1. Note that the balances are listed in descending order.
Figure 1 A List of Customers with Unpaid Balances
4. Suppose that you have two tables, EMPLOYEE and EMPLOYEE_1. The EMPLOYEE table contains the records for three employees: Alice Cordoza, John Cretchakov, and Anne McDonald. The EMPLOYEE_1 table contains the record for employee John Cretchakov. Given that information, what is the query output for the UNION query? (List the query output.)
P a g e | 3
Marks are allocated for each part as above:
Marking Rubric for Assignment 1 Total Marks 15
Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
/2 Evidence of accurate and
well- written queries Evidence of good query writing skills. Generally relevant. Displayed reasonable query writing skills. Demonstrated little evidence of understanding the topic.
ed excellent ability to think critically. Demonstrated
an ability to think critically. Demonstrated reasonable ability to think. Demonstrat ed some ability to think critically but not complete. Did not
ability to think critically.
/2 Logic is clear and easy to follow. Consistency logical and convincing. Mostly consistent logical and convincing. Adequate cohesion and conviction. Arguments are confused and disjointed.
/5 All elements are present and very well integrated. Most of the components present and integrated. Components present and mostly well integrated. Most components present. Report lacks structure.