For this benchmark, create an in-depth, 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation to inform other teachers in your school district of the benefits of using the SIOP model as a teaching framework. This presentation should elaborate on the empirical research that shows the benefits of the SIOP framework when used with general education students as well as with ELLs. Your presentation should include:
- A brief historical overview of some of the major educational policies that have shaped ELL instruction.
- A brief description of socioeconomic, political, and legal influences on instruction for ELLs.
- The eight interrelated components of the SIOP model, their application, and a teaching example for each component. Include a benefit for each SIOP component regarding how it contributes to an engaging curriculum and learning experience. The eight SIOP components are as follows:
- Lesson Preparation
- Building Background
- Comprehensible Input
- Practice and Application
- Lesson Delivery
- Review and Assessment
- Make a case for the importance of engaging in ongoing learning regarding innovative ways to utilize SIOP in your teaching.
- Include considerations about meeting ELL needs, such as access to academic classes, appropriate resources, and instructional technology, while working collaboratively with other school professionals from the perspective of an advocating leader.
Include title slide, presenter’s notes, in-text citations, and a reference slide that contains 3-5 sources
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies:
5.3: Candidate will take on leadership roles to advocate for meeting ELL needs, ELLs’ access to academic classes, resources, and instructional technology, strengthening the learning environment, and enacting system change. [TESOL 5.b.3, 5.b.5, InTASC 10(i), 10(j), 10(k)]
5.5: Candidate will model the expectations of the profession by upholding ethical standards, professional standards of practice, and relevant laws and policies. [TESOL 5.a.2; InTASC 9(o)]
5.6: Candidate will engage in ongoing learning opportunities to develop knowledge and skills in order to provide all students with engaging curriculum and learning experiences within the context of local and state/ELL standards. [TESOL 5.b.1; InTASC 9(a), 10(f)]
6.1: Candidate will evaluate the political, economic, and educational structures of immigration within the context of educational learning theories applied to ELLs. [TESOL 1.b.4; InTASC 2(d)]