Write a 5-page assessment in which you examine the role and educational needs of quality-management organizations and compare and contrast two such organizations at the national level.
Many argue about whether health care in the United States is at the top or bottom of world health care rankings. The only way to answer this question is through the measurement of data.
This assessment looks at how to define and measure quality. Measuring quality was first spurred by the Institute of Medicine’s year 2000 report, To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System. The report first highlighted the impact on health outcomes of medical errors and the lack of quality tracking.
Kohn, L. T., Corrigan, J. M., & Donaldson, M. S. (2000). To err is human: Building a safer health system. Retrieved from http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9728
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of the business community.
- Consider the types of measures that quality-management organizations are involved in on the national and local health care scenes.
- Consider a specific measure or quality-assurance activity on which a national quality-management organization might work.
- Do you see evidence of these efforts in your own organization or in your community?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
Click the link provided below to view the following multimedia piece:
Complete the following:
- Describe the role of a quality-management organization.
- Identify the educational needs of a quality-management organization as related to the delivery of services.
- Give detailed examples of how quality efforts impact the following groups:
- Medical administrators.
- Select two national organizations from this list that are focused on quality management or quality assurance, and compare and contrast them. Carefully investigate the organizations that you select. You may consult the organization’s Web site, textbooks, and the Capella library.
- National Committee on Quality Assurance (NCQA).
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI).
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ).
- Ambulatory Care Quality Alliance (AQA).
- The Joint Commission (TJC).
- The LeapFrog Group.
- The National Quality Forum (NQF).
- Include a title page and a references page.
- Include an introductory paragraph and a concluding paragraph.
- Include a minimum of three research resources.
- Follow APA guidelines for style and formatting.
- Ensure your finished assessment is five pages in length, excluding the title page and references page.