Literacy centers are an effective way to meet the needs of individual students. Centers can be used to teach multiple content standards in a hands-on and interactive learning environment. Additionally, volunteers and other assistants can support differentiation and the assessment process during center time.
Part 1: Learning Centers
For this assignment, select a grade level Pre-K to 3rd grade and develop three learning centers with a wide range of developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate teaching and learning strategies.
Write a 100-250 word detailed description of each center’s literacy activity for the volunteer who will be the facilitator. At least one learning center must be technology-based.
In each description, include the following:
- Individual learning objectives
- List of materials to be used and the purpose of each
- Directions for how to run the activity and an assessment to be administered at the end
- Three leveled questions the volunteer can ask students while they are running the activity to support individual student’s development of the objective
Part 2: Research-Based Rationale
Write a 250-500 word rationale explaining the thinking behind the design of your learning centers.
Address the following:
- Discuss how the centers are developmentally, culturally, and linguistically appropriate for the students in the field experience classroom.
- Explain how the technology chosen promotes the responsible use of interactive technologies to collaborate in positive face-to-face and virtual environments.
- Describe how teachers can collaborate with families to build a safe, positive learning environment of openness, mutual respect, positive relationships, and supportive interactions.
Support your rationale with 2-3 scholarly resources