Statement of Purpose or “Why Am I Doing This?”
The ability to perform solid research is a key to success in academics and professional life, but communicating that research in a clear and concise manner is equally as important. This part of the assignment provides you with the opportunity to develop writing skills—specifically in the areas of organization and use of proper grammar, mechanics, and style—and to show your ability to use sources with integrity.
Completing This Assignment:
• For the topic selected in Module/Week 2 of the course and utilized again in Module/Week 4, you will complete in the actual body content at least an 800 word 3-page paper that presents the research conducted during the term.
• The paper must be well organized and developed and provide a concise examination of the subject.
• Utilizing the sources from Module/Week 4 that were closely connected to your original topic choice from Module/Week 2 give an extended paper overview of the event? Discuss your own arguments. Include opposing viewpoints you discovered in your research. As a result, did your opinions change? How? If so, defend your case or offer reasons for why your thought process had changed.
• Citations must conform to current Turabian citation style with properly formatted footnotes and bibliography for the 3 or more scholarly sources you use.
• The title page and reference page do not count towards the total page count.
• A key purpose for this assignment is to display and determine what the individual student learned and gleaned from personal research. Thus, a clear majority of the body-content of the paper should be written solely in the words of the student. Information for the paper can be BASED from chosen befitting outside sources, but, again, the body-content should dominantly come from the student’s personal thoughts and presented in their own words.
Outside source content may be incorporated within the paper, but should NOT dominate (in verbatim form) a large portion of the write-up. Any borrowed statements from these sources must be placed within quotation marks, properly cited in Turabian format, and these sources must be included (in correct Turabian format) within the required closing bibliography page.
• When you are finished, your assignment must be:
o In a Microsoft Word (or compatible) document
o Formatted, including:
12-point Times New Roman font
Page numbers placed at the bottom center of each page of text (not including the title page)
o Proofread carefully to ensure it is written in scholarly language with no grammar, spelling, or punctuation errors and conforms to the standards of mechanics and style expected at the university level.
o A Turabian Quick Guide is available in the Course Content site to aid students in completing citations as accurately as possible.
• You must use the template for the assignment provided in Assignment site.